Kevin C. W. CHEN
Professor and Head of Department
PhD 1985 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
M.Sc. 1983 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Accounting
B.B.A. 1976 National Taiwan University, Accounting
AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Head of Department, HKUST, July 2007 - present
- Chair Professor, 2005 to present;
Professor,1999-2005; Associate Professor, 1997-1999; Hong Kong University of Science
and Technology (HKUST)
- Assistant Professor to Associate Professor, Rutgers, State University of New Jersey, 1989-1999
- Assistant Professor, Georgia Institute
of Technology, 1985-1989
- Auditor, H.K. Yung, CPAs, Taiwan, 1976-1977
- "Post-IFRS Revaluation
Adjustments and Executive Compensation." (Conditionally
accepted at Contemporary Accounting Research). (with
- "Substitution between Real and
Accrual-Based Earnings Management after Voluntary Adoption
of Compensation Clawback Provisions." The Accounting
Review, Vol. 90, 2015, pp. 147-174. (with L.H. Chan, Tai Yuan Chen and Y.
- "The Effects of Firm-initiated Clawback
Provisions on Bank Loan Contracting." Journal of
Financial Economics, Vol. 110, 2013, pp. 659-679. (with L. Chan and T.Y.
- "The Effects of Firm-initiated Clawback Provisions on
and Auditor Behavior."
(with Tai-Yuan Chen, L. Chan and Y. Yu),
Journal of Accounting and Economics 54, 2012, pp. 180-196.
- "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow and the Effect of
Shareholder Rights on the Implied Cost of Equity Capital."
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 46, No.
1 Feb 2011, 171-207.
(with Z. Chen and K. C. J. Wei).
- "Legal Protection of Investors, Corporate
Governance, and the Cost of Equity Capital." Journal of
Corporate Finance 15, 2009, pp. 273-289. (with Z. Chen and
K. C. J Wei).
- "Accounting-Based Regulation in Emerging
Markets: The Case of China's Seasoned Equity Offerings." The
International Journal of Accounting Vol. 42, No. 3, 2007.
pp.221-236 (with J. Wang).
- "Earnings Management and Capital Resource
Allocation: Evidence from China's Accounting-Based Regulation of
Rights Issues." The Accounting Review, July 2004, Vol.
74, No. 3, pp. 645-665. (with Hongqi Yuan).
- "Analysts' Interpretation of Transitory Earnings
Components: Evidence from Forecast Revisions after Disclosure of
the 1993 Deferred Tax Adjustment." Journal of
Accounting, Auditing & Finance Vol. 18, No. 3, Summer 2003,
pp. 333-354. (with M.G. Danielson and M.P. Schoderbek).
- "The 1993 Tax Rate Increase and Deferred Tax
Adjustments: A Test of Functional Fixation," Journal
of Accounting Research, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 23-44, Spring
2000, (with M.P. Schoderbek)
- Journal of Accounting and Public Policy
(Editorial Board, 2009-present)
- Abacus (Editorial Board, 2010-present)
- The International Journal of Accounting
- Journal of International Accounting Research
(Associate Editor, 2001-2007)
- The Accounting Review (Editorial Board,
Academic Director, International EMBA Program,
School of Business and Management, HKUST, 2003-2007.
Director of PhD/MPhil Programs, School of Business
and Management, HKUST, 2001-2004.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES
President, Hong Kong Academic Accounting Association, (HKAAA),
Council Member, International Association for
Accounting Education and Research
Member, Accounting Accreditation Committee, AACSB,
Member, Financial Reporting Review Committee,
Financial Reporting Council, Hong Kong, 2010-2015.
- Franklin Prize for Teaching Excellence, School of
Business and Management, HKUST, 2003.
- Certified Public Accountant, Taiwan, 1976