||Massachusetts Institute of
||National Chiao Tung University,
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
||The Hong Kong University of Science and
||Chair Professor (2016-present), Professor
||The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Associate
||University of Southern California, Arthur
Anderson & Co. Alumni Associate Professor (2009-2012), Associate
Professor (2006-2009), Assistant Professor (1999-2006),
||on leave (2006-2007 and 2012-2014).
||Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
- "Board reforms and firm value: Worldwide evidence." (2016)
Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming
(with Larry Fauver, Xi Li, and Alvaro G. Taboada)
- "Post-earnings-announcement drift in global markets:
Evidence from an information shock." (2015) The Review of Financial
Studies 28, 1242-1283 (with Xi Li and Shiheng Wang)
- "The use of debt covenants worldwide:
Institutional determinants and implications on financial
reporting." (2016) Contemporary Accounting Research
33, 644-681 (with Hyun Hong and Jieying Zhang.)
- "Does mandatory IFRS adoption affect
risk?" The Accounting Review 90, 265-299. (with Mark DeFond, Siqui Li and Yinghua Li)
- "The value of political ties versus
market credibility: Evidence from corporate scandals in
China." (2015) Contemporary Accounting Research
32, 1641-1675 (with TJ Wong and Fang Zhang)
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on IPOs in global
capital markets." (2014).
The Accounting Review 89, 1365-1397 (with Hyun Hong and Gerald
- "Has the widespread adoption of IFRS reduced US firms'
attractiveness to foreign investors?" (2011) Journal of
International Accounting Research 11, 27-55 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu and Siqi Li).
- "Political considerations in the decision of Chinese
SOEs to list in Hong Kong." (2012), Journal
of Accounting & Economics 53, 435-449
(with T.J Wong and Tianyu Zhang).
- "Corporate governance in the recent financial crisis:
Evidence from financial institutions worldwide." (2012) Journal of Corporate Finance 18, 289-411 (with David Erkens
and Pedro Matos).
- "Was the Sarbanes-Oxley Act good news for corporate bond
holders?" (2011). Accounting Horizons 25, 465-485. (with Mark DeFond, Emre Karaoglu (Emre Carr), and Jieying Zhang).
- "The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on foreign mutual
fund ownership: The role of
comparability." (2011) . Journal of Accounting & Economics
51, 240-258 (with Mark DeFond, Xuesong Hu, and Siqi Li).
- “Home bias, foreign mutual fund holdings, and the voluntary
adoption of International Accounting Standards." (2007). Journal of Accounting Research 45, 41-70 (with Vicentiu
Covrig and Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and analysts' each flow forecasts
around the world." (2007). Review of Accounting
Studies 12, 377-419 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Investor protection and the information content of annual
earnings announcements: International evidence." (2007). Journal of Accounting & Economics 43, 37-67 (with Mark DeFond and Robert Trezevant).
- "Financial statement effects of adopting International
Accounting Standards: The case of Germany." (2007). Review of
Accounting Studies 12, 623-657 (with K.R. Subramanyam)
- "Investor protection and corporate governance: Evidence
from worldwide CEO turnover." (2004). Journal of Accounting
Research 42, 269-312 (with Mark DeFond).
- "An empirical analysis of analysts' cash flow forecasts."
(2003). Journal of Accounting & Economics 35,
73-100 (with Mark DeFond).
- "Information and trading risks in global investing: An
empirical analysis of research location and Pacific mutual fund
performance." (2001). Journal of International Financial
Management and Accounting 12, 1-23.
- "Accounting standards and value relevance of earnings: An
international analysis" (2000) Journal of Accounting &
Economics 30, 401-420.
GRANTS, AWARDS AND HONORS
- Best Discussant Award, MIT Asia Conference in Accounting,
- Best Paper Award, European Accounting Association annual
- Best Paper Prize, Journal of Accounting & Economics, 2007
- Faculty Teaching Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
- MBA Golden Apple Teaching Award, University of Southern
- Gamma Sigma Alpha Professor of the Year, University of
Southern California, 2003.
- The Hong Kong University Grant Commission General Research
- The Hong Kong University Grant Commission Earmarked Research
- USC U.S. – China Institute Faculty Research Grant, 2007.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong RGC Research Grant,
- USC CIBEAR Grants, PRIME Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Dongguan trip
faculty observer, 2007;
EMBA China trip faculty observer, 2002; PRIME Tokyo
trip faculty observer, 2000.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong Center for Institutions
and Governance Research Fellow, 2007-present.
- The Accounting Review, Editor, 2015-present
- The Accounting Review, Editorial Board, 2013-2015
- Journal of International Business Studies, Editorial Board,
- The Economist, Financial Times, CFO.com, Boardmember.com,
American Accounting Association (AAA) press release, Financial
Accounting Standards Research Initiative (FASRI)